Miami first-time buyer: is $35,000 enough cash after closing?

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
Before deciding whether to proceed, I need to know whether the cash left over would be a real buffer or merely look like one on closing day. The property is a 2-bed Miami duplex at roughly $970,000, and my current estimate leaves about $35,000 after the deposit and closing costs.

The inspection report is lengthy, although the duplex appears fundamentally sound. I still need to separate immediate repairs from routine first-year maintenance and confirm whether insurance, prepaid items and any service charges are fully reflected in the estimate.

How much of the $35,000 would you keep untouched as an emergency fund, and how much would you reserve for moving and urgent work? Furniture can be added gradually, but I do not want ordinary defects to consume the safety margin straight after closing.
 
I wouldn’t split it evenly. Protect the emergency fund first, then reserve for known moving costs and inspection items that genuinely cannot wait. Furniture would come last and could be bought gradually.

Whether $35,000 is comfortable depends less on the $970,000 price than on your monthly essential spending. How many months would it cover after the mortgage and other property costs begin?
 
Does the $35,000 remain after all prepaid items, insurance and any service charges, or only after the current closing estimate? Also confirm when the first mortgage payment falls due rather than assuming you get a long gap.

I’d ask the inspector to separate urgent defects from routine maintenance. A long report often looks frightening because it records every small observation.
 
I’m slightly less relaxed about leaving repairs as one general bucket. In Miami, the insurance quote and its excess could materially change how much cash you should leave untouched. Get the actual figures for this property.

Also establish whether the duplex has any shared expenses or scheduled work. If it does, your private inspection will not necessarily capture the whole first-year exposure.
 
Those questions help. The $35,000 is after the deposit and estimated closing costs, but the estimates are not final. The inspection is mostly ordinary first-year work rather than one major defect, and I’m happy to delay most furniture.

I’m going to confirm the first mortgage payment date, insurance excess, moving cost and whether there are any service charges or shared obligations. If those reduce the protected reserve too far, I’ll lower the purchase target.
 
Make one list by timing rather than category: money due before getting the keys, work required immediately, expenses likely within the first year, and optional purchases. Then keep the emergency fund separate from all four.

That prevents a sofa or a non-urgent inspection recommendation from quietly consuming money intended for a job loss, medical expense or insurance claim.
 
Buying below your maximum is sensible, but the lower price alone does not make the buffer adequate. Before deciding, get an updated cash-to-close figure, a written insurance quote showing the excess, and a realistic moving quote. Add any immediate inspection work and the first mortgage payment.

What remains after those items is your real emergency reserve. If that number would not cover the period you personally need, I’d look below $970,000 rather than plan to rebuild savings immediately after closing.
 
Back
Top