Miami listings: headline numbers versus the street-level picture

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
Before I use this month’s listings to guide a decision, I need to know whether the sample is mature enough to mean anything. I’m tracking mostly serviced apartments in Miami between $812,000 and $1,218,000, and the typical advert has been live for 11 days.

Very local supply may explain why some move quickly while others linger, but 11 days could simply be too early for reductions or withdrawals to appear. Would you wait for completed sales and the first round of price cuts? I may also be combining neighbourhoods—and possibly buildings—that serve different buyers and financing profiles.
 
Eleven days is too early to call the sample fast-moving. It measures how long the current listings have been visible, not how long completed deals took or whether they closed near asking. I’d split the sample by neighbourhood and, where several units share an address, by building. A cluster of similar new listings can make city-level supply look healthier than the actual buyer demand.
 
What are you counting as a serviced apartment? That label can cover properties with quite different operating arrangements and buyer pools. I’d also want to know whether the $812,000 and $1,218,000 ends are comparable in size and condition. Otherwise the bracket may be grouping together listings that buyers would never consider substitutes.
 
I wouldn’t put the whole gap down to local supply. Seller motivation, property condition and buyer financing can separate two apparently comparable listings very quickly. Withdrawn stock matters too: if an overpriced property disappears rather than recording a price cut, the remaining active sample can look stronger than the underlying market. Recent completed sales are useful, but only when the neighbourhood boundary and property characteristics genuinely match.
 
I can see why local supply looks like the main explanation, but I would hesitate to settle on it from one 11-day snapshot. Keep a weekly line for each property showing when it first appeared, its asking price, later reductions, withdrawal status and any completed-sale evidence.

Track fresh listings separately from older inventory. If supply keeps rising while cuts begin, that points to a different risk than a stable pool of listings whose sellers remain firm. A few updates should also reveal whether financing-sensitive properties are the ones stalling.
 
Back
Top