Milan condo at €823,400: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

I have already listed transfer tax, registration expenses and notary or legal fees for a Milan condo costing about €823,400. What remains uncertain is how the proposed ownership structure and residency position affect the purchase, along with condominium liabilities and the treatment of a later sale or inheritance.

There is also a separate contract issue. Our adviser noticed that part of the wording does not fully match what we were told at the viewing, but did not regard it as an immediate reason to withdraw. I need to establish exactly what differs and whether it shifts a cost, obligation or property limitation onto us. The available comparables are not resolving that because their condition varies.

Before choosing whether to proceed, renegotiate or pause, which documents should I obtain from the condominium and seller? I would also appreciate a practical list of facts a licensed local professional would need to give an itemised estimate for our actual circumstances rather than a generic percentage.
 
I would separate the contract concern from the closing-cost calculation. A perfectly accurate tax estimate does not cure a mismatch between the viewing promises and the written agreement.

Ask for an itemised estimate based on your actual residency, intended use, seller and ownership structure rather than a generic percentage. Separately, request the condominium accounts and details of arrears, annual charges, and any approved or proposed major works, including who bears them if completion occurs after signing.
 
What exactly did the adviser flag: physical condition, a limitation on ownership, or wording that shifts a cost to you? That missing fact matters more than the mixed comparables.

I’d also ask whether the estimate assumes you will become resident or treat this as your main home. If that assumption is wrong, both the purchase calculation and future sale planning may need to be revisited.
 
I’m less convinced that differing comparables are a warning by themselves; condition can legitimately produce a wide spread. The contract discrepancy is the stronger reason to pause.

Make three lists: one-off acquisition costs, recurring ownership costs, and eventual exit or succession costs. Have the local adviser confirm in writing the assumptions behind transfer tax, registration and notary charges, any ownership restrictions, capital-gains treatment on a later sale, and inheritance planning. Most importantly, identify every viewing promise that is absent from the contract and ask for it to be clarified before committing.
 
Back
Top