Milan multifamily: gaps in a €736,000 closing-cost checklist

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
I’m building a purchase and ongoing-cost checklist for a small multifamily in Milan priced around €736,000. I have transfer tax, registration and notary/legal fees on the first draft, but I’m less confident about ownership structures, recurring property charges, residency implications, eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning.

Which assumptions should I have a licensed local professional test before I rely on the estimate? This is outside my home country, and I don’t want to import the process or tax logic from there.
 
First establish exactly what is being bought and from whom before putting numbers beside transfer tax. Ask whether the building is treated as one property or several units, whether any part has a different use, and whether the seller’s status changes the transaction’s tax treatment. A polished estimate can still be wrong if those underlying facts are wrong.
 
Is the €736,000 only the stated property price, or does your working total already include any intermediary fee and related tax? Also, are the units vacant, occupied or mixed? Existing leases, deposits, unpaid building expenses and work already approved could affect the cash needed even when they are not technically closing taxes.
 
One more point: request separate figures for purchase-day costs, costs due soon after completion and normal annual charges. If they are all combined into one percentage, it becomes difficult to see whether the adviser has included municipal property charges, waste-related charges, shared-building expenses and filing or translation work that may apply to your circumstances.
 
I’d be cautious about choosing an ownership structure mainly to reduce the headline purchase tax. A company or other arrangement may add administration and alter rental income, future sale and inheritance treatment. Ask for a side-by-side explanation of buying personally versus the realistic alternatives, including annual compliance and exit consequences—not merely the amount due at closing.
 
That comparison also needs your intended use and timeline. Will you remain non-resident, seek residency, occupy one unit, rent all of them, or renovate and sell? Without those answers, “best structure” is mostly guesswork. I’d give the Italian adviser a one-page summary of buyers, tax residence, funding, expected holding period, rental plan and intended heirs.
 
Agreed on supplying the facts, though I would not let the inheritance discussion wait until after purchase. The questions are who should hold title, what happens if one buyer dies, and whether your home-country estate arrangements interact awkwardly with the Italian asset. That requires coordinated advice across both jurisdictions; a conveyancing estimate alone will not answer it.
 
For the next estimate, ask every line to show: who receives it, when it becomes payable, whether it is fixed or conditional, and what fact could change it. Then keep a separate contingency for unresolved items rather than hiding them inside a percentage. The biggest practical risk here seems to be false precision before the property, seller and buyer circumstances are fully described.
 
Back
Top