My main constraint is comparing two very different risk patterns without turning everything into one smooth annual cost. One option is a 1,350 sq ft mixed-use building in Miami; the other is a similarly priced villa.
For the mixed-use property, I need to establish permitted use, tenant demand, likely vacancy, management workload, service-charge coverage, shared reserves and responsibility for major systems. For the villa, more decisions may be mine, but so are whole-property repairs and the possibility of uneven insurance and maintenance bills. Energy costs and resale liquidity could also differ substantially between them.
My decision rule is becoming clearer: if the mixed-use records show adequate reserves, manageable shared obligations and demand for that specific space, I will compare its net cash flow with the villa. If those records are incomplete, I will treat that uncertainty as a cost rather than assuming shared management makes it simpler. What documents or inspections would you add before choosing?
For the mixed-use property, I need to establish permitted use, tenant demand, likely vacancy, management workload, service-charge coverage, shared reserves and responsibility for major systems. For the villa, more decisions may be mine, but so are whole-property repairs and the possibility of uneven insurance and maintenance bills. Energy costs and resale liquidity could also differ substantially between them.
My decision rule is becoming clearer: if the mixed-use records show adequate reserves, manageable shared obligations and demand for that specific space, I will compare its net cash flow with the villa. If those records are incomplete, I will treat that uncertainty as a cost rather than assuming shared management makes it simpler. What documents or inspections would you add before choosing?