Mixed-use unit versus serviced apartment in Prague: ownership costs and rental yield

nia.miles

Landlord
I'm comparing a 35 m² unit in a mixed-use building with a similarly priced serviced apartment in Prague. The mixed-use option looks simpler to maintain, while the serviced apartment appears to offer more control but potentially larger irregular costs.

I'm modelling rental regulation, insurance, energy use, vacancy, management workload and resale liquidity. My main concern is that the mixed-use building’s minutes mention planned work three times without a firm estimate. Would that uncertainty tip the decision for you, and what costs should I verify before choosing?
 
The repeated mention of work without a price would concern me more than the property label. Ask what the work covers, whether quotations exist, how much is already held in shared-building reserves and how contributions are divided. A healthy-looking yield can disappear quickly if the purchase is followed by a substantial owner contribution.
 
That is exactly the gap in the documents I have: the work is noted, but there is no usable budget or timetable. I’ll ask for the reserve balance and contribution method. For the serviced apartment, would you treat the management arrangement as the equivalent risk, or are there other irregular costs I should isolate?
 
I’d separate its costs into three groups: recurring management charges, costs triggered by occupancy or turnover, and exceptional building or furnishing expenses. Read what the management arrangement actually includes rather than relying on one headline fee. Also model a period with no rental income while charges, insurance and energy costs continue.
 
I would challenge the assumption that the serviced apartment gives you more control. Depending on the operating arrangement, control over pricing, tenant selection, maintenance timing or resale could be constrained rather than increased. Confirm what you can change, how you can leave the arrangement and whether the unit can be marketed independently.
 
Tenant demand and resale demand should be considered separately. A unit may rent acceptably yet appeal to a narrower set of future buyers because of its permitted use, building setup or management obligations. In Prague, I’d have the unit’s classification and intended rental use checked against the actual records and contract wording; legal and lending treatment can depend on the specifics.
 
For energy, compare like with like. Is consumption individually metered, included in a fixed charge, or later reconciled? Who pays during vacancies, and who absorbs unusually high use by short-stay occupants? Those answers matter more than the current monthly estimate. I’d also request past reconciliations for each property if available.
 
A simple stress test may settle it. Give each option the same rent assumptions, then add one vacant period, a rise in recurring charges and a separate irregular-cost line. For the mixed-use unit, leave the planned work as an explicit unknown rather than quietly treating it as zero. If the seller cannot produce a scope or estimate, price that uncertainty into your offer or pause.
 
I’d also compare the exit workload, not just the projected yield. List every document a future buyer would need to understand: reserve position and planned works for the mixed-use building; management terms, use restrictions and ongoing charges for the serviced apartment. The option that is easiest to explain and finance may prove more liquid, even if its initial rental return looks slightly lower.
 
Back
Top