Modest rent increase or keep an excellent Atlanta tenant at $1,954?

WiseKite

Homeowner
My tenant pays $1,954, while comparable market rent appears to be about $2,288. They pay reliably, report maintenance issues early and look after the property, so I put real value on keeping them. At the same time, I do not want the $334 monthly gap to keep widening.

Would you use small predictable increases, leave the rent alone, or pair an increase with agreed improvements? The deciding detail behind your approach would be especially helpful.
 
I would raise it modestly rather than chase the full $2,288. One vacancy period, preparation work and the uncertainty of a new tenant could consume much of that apparent gain. A reliable tenant also helps prevent small maintenance problems becoming expensive ones. Give proper notice under the lease and applicable local rules, and explain that the increase is intentionally below the current market figure.
 
How strong is the $2,288 comparison? Advertised rents are not necessarily signed rents, especially if those listings sit vacant or include different features. I would also want to know when the lease can be reviewed and what work the property may need before another tenant could move in. Those details could turn a $334 gap into a much smaller practical difference.
 
That is the missing piece for me. The $2,288 figure looks persuasive at first, but I have not yet weighed vacancy time, turnover work and differences between the comparable properties. I am leaning toward a smaller increase, after confirming the lease timing and Atlanta-area notice requirements, rather than treating the headline market figure as an automatic target.
 
I would not automatically discount the rent just because the tenant is good. Paying on time and caring for the home are important, but they are also normal expectations of the tenancy. If the comparables genuinely match, staying hundreds below market year after year can eventually force a much more painful adjustment. A planned series of reasonable reviews may be fairer to both sides than a long freeze followed by a large jump.
 
That is fair, but the owner should compare net outcomes, not expectations alone. Reletting may involve vacancy, cleaning or repairs, advertising, screening and deposit handling, with no guarantee the replacement will report leaks early or pay as reliably. I would calculate a realistic turnover cost, divide it across the expected holding period, and then decide how much of the $334 difference is actually worth pursuing.
 
Pairing an increase with improvements only makes sense if the tenant values the work and the numbers remain clear. Necessary maintenance should not be presented as a special benefit. I would first verify true comparables, inspect the property, estimate turnover costs, and choose a sustainable increase schedule. Then send a straightforward notice that complies with the lease and local requirements, without implying that renewal depends on accepting optional upgrades.
 
Back
Top