Montreal: 1,610 sq ft condo or similarly priced new-build flat?

AveryElm

Property investor
I’m comparing a 1,610 sq ft condo with a similarly priced new-build flat in Montreal. The condo appears easier to maintain because more is handled collectively; the flat offers greater control, but I may be taking on larger, less predictable costs.

My model includes rental regulation, insurance, energy use, tenant demand, vacancy risk and resale liquidity. I’m also weighing shared-building reserves against the extra management workload of direct ownership. What tends to surprise owners after the first year, and what would you put on a practical pre-purchase checklist? I’ve asked for the full statement rather than relying on another verbal estimate.
 
The reserve position could decide this more than the purchase price. A condo with low monthly costs can become expensive if major shared work is looming; equally, a new build is not automatically low-maintenance once defects, utilities and insurance are considered.

I’d compare the same items side by side: exactly what each fee covers, recent and planned building work, insurance exclusions, realistic energy bills, rental restrictions, and likely buyer or tenant pool for 1,610 sq ft. Is the flat a standalone property or part of another shared-ownership arrangement? That changes how much control you truly gain.
 
Back
Top