Montreal country home at C$465,800 and C$1,758 rent — do the numbers work?

dara.dawn

Landlord
A 4.5% gross yield is the issue I cannot get past. The 3-bed country home is priced at C$465,800 and the expected rent is C$1,758 a month, giving annual rent of C$21,096 before any expenses.

There is not much margin once I include vacancy, management, ongoing maintenance, a larger-work contingency and borrowing costs. Rather than rely on broad estimates, I plan to obtain the actual property-tax bill, an insurance quote and records for the home’s major systems. I also need evidence that the rent is achievable. What other Montreal-area ownership cost should be verified before deciding whether the remaining cash flow is adequate?
 
At a 4.5% gross yield, there is not much room for estimation errors. I would focus first on the actual property-tax bill and an insurance quote for this specific building, rather than percentages from comparable properties. After those, vacancy and management, the return could become thin before you even reach financing costs.
 
Is C$1,758 supported by an existing lease, comparable listings, or just an agent’s estimate? That distinction matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance allowance. I’d also want to know whether the tenant or owner pays utilities, snow removal and grounds upkeep, and whether the home has any systems that create property-specific servicing costs.
 
Good questions. I’d treat C$1,758 as unproven until there is solid rental evidence. Even if achievable, turnover could mean cleaning, minor repairs and a leasing gap at the same time. For a single property, one awkward turnover can overwhelm a smooth annual vacancy percentage.
 
I’m not sure choosing a target net yield in isolation solves this. A lower return might be acceptable for a low-maintenance property with stable occupancy, while this country home could deserve a larger cushion because repairs and tenant turnover are less predictable.

The more revealing test is whether cash flow remains acceptable after reducing rent, adding an extra vacant month and increasing the repair reserve. If financing makes that scenario negative, the deal is relying heavily on everything going right.
 
Before deciding, I’d build three versions of the model: expected, stressed and financed-stressed. Use the actual tax and insurance figures where available, separate routine maintenance from major replacements, and show tenant turnover as a cash event rather than only an annual percentage. Also confirm what is included in rent and obtain financing terms tied to this property. That should expose whether the 4.5% headline yield has any usable margin beneath it.
 
That stress-test approach gets to the issue better than arguing over a single acceptable yield. I’d add acquisition and future selling costs as separate items rather than burying them in annual cash flow, since they affect the overall return but not day-to-day operations. If the expected case is merely break-even and the stressed case needs regular cash injections, C$465,800 looks difficult to defend at C$1,758 per month.
 
Back
Top