One approach is to confirm the advertised 8.4% gross yield and then examine expenses. The other is to challenge the rent first, because the rest of the calculation means little if C$8,589 a month is not achievable.
I have spent about 70 days looking at this Montreal deal: a 1-bed detached home priced at C$1,228,000. The property seems sound, and I have budgeted for empty periods, a manager, normal upkeep and a major future repair. Even so, the broker’s figure leaves out a good part of the owner’s outgoings.
For a concrete example, heating or exterior maintenance paid by the owner could make monthly cash flow much less even than the annual total suggests. Which item would you verify first here—property tax, insurance, utilities, management charges or tenant turnover? I am also interested in the net return people would require, assuming the rent can be supported by actual comparables or a lease.
I have spent about 70 days looking at this Montreal deal: a 1-bed detached home priced at C$1,228,000. The property seems sound, and I have budgeted for empty periods, a manager, normal upkeep and a major future repair. Even so, the broker’s figure leaves out a good part of the owner’s outgoings.
For a concrete example, heating or exterior maintenance paid by the owner could make monthly cash flow much less even than the annual total suggests. Which item would you verify first here—property tax, insurance, utilities, management charges or tenant turnover? I am also interested in the net return people would require, assuming the rent can be supported by actual comparables or a lease.