Seeing the remaining cash fall to C$12,150 has made me less comfortable with this purchase than the mortgage approval did. The property is a 1-bed duplex in Montreal priced at about C$1,701,000, and that balance is what I expect to retain once the deposit and projected completion expenses are paid.
It would still need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and basic furniture without wiping out my emergency money. I also have to clarify whether there are recurring shared charges, how the insurance excess affects the buffer, and where the first mortgage payment lands in the cash-flow calendar.
Would you ring-fence most of the C$12,150 and postpone furniture, or is the amount simply too tight? I am leaning towards a cheaper purchase if routine first-year work would otherwise consume nearly everything.
It would still need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and basic furniture without wiping out my emergency money. I also have to clarify whether there are recurring shared charges, how the insurance excess affects the buffer, and where the first mortgage payment lands in the cash-flow calendar.
Would you ring-fence most of the C$12,150 and postpone furniture, or is the amount simply too tight? I am leaning towards a cheaper purchase if routine first-year work would otherwise consume nearly everything.