Montreal homeowner comparing detached-home asking and completed prices

bakesAndGarden

Homeowner
Established
I want to understand detached-home pricing well enough to compare Canadian markets, but I do not want to assume that Montreal represents the rest of the country. I already own a home and am particularly interested in transaction costs, renovation needs, and how final sale results relate to advertised prices.

Would it be more useful to start with the Montreal board and track a small group of comparable homes, or read the buying checklists first so I know which costs to record? Broader market-data threads seem valuable, but only after I can separate property-level differences from general trends.
 
I’d begin with the local board and recent market-data discussions, then keep a simple record of asking and completed prices for comparable detached homes. Don’t compare the headline figures alone: note location, condition and renovation needs. Those differences can explain more than a broad market trend.
 
What decision are you preparing for—another purchase, an investment model, or general learning? That changes the reading order. For a possible purchase, I would put financing comparisons, transaction costs and the legal checklist ahead of property-management material. Also, completed prices may be difficult to interpret unless the homes are genuinely similar.
 
Starting with citywide data feels too broad, while beginning with a long buying checklist can leave you collecting figures without a clear purpose. Neither would be my first choice.

I’d use the examples already suggested in the thread: select a small group of similar detached homes, record their asking and completed prices, and add rough renovation and ownership costs. That should show whether apparent price gaps come from condition or location rather than the market as a whole. Once that table exists, the wider Canadian discussions can help identify which assumptions are specific to Montreal.
 
Back
Top