Montreal landlord looking beyond asking prices

GreenRadar

Landlord
My Montreal research has recently narrowed toward student housing, which has raised a new question about where to focus first. I am already a landlord, but I want a better way to compare transaction costs, mortgage assumptions and the difference between listing figures and recorded sale results.

Would the local board be the best starting point for that work, or are the property-management and investment-modelling discussions more useful at the beginning? I am particularly interested in methods that remain useful across markets without ignoring Montreal-specific costs and practices.
 
The local board is useful for context. The overlooked risk is treating its market figures as a complete investment model.

I would first collect whatever completed-price evidence is available, keeping acquisition costs separate so the comparisons stay clean. Then test the same properties against student turnover, management and current mortgage terms. Are you evaluating another purchase, or trying to improve the assumptions for student housing you already own?
 
I’d put property management and legal checklists ahead of broad market comparisons. Student housing can make two otherwise similar properties perform very differently once turnover, renovation needs and financing are considered. Cross-market data is useful, but mortgage terms and local requirements may not transfer cleanly between jurisdictions.
 
Back
Top