Montreal listings: is property tax really separating quick sales from stale stock?

hana.slate

Real estate agent
Established
I’m sense-checking a Montreal sample priced from C$307,800 to C$461,700, mostly serviced apartments. The typical listing has been visible for 37 days. My working theory is that property tax helps explain why some sell quickly while others linger, but I may be giving it too much weight. What are people seeing in completed sales, withdrawals and price-cut timing at street level?
 
I wouldn’t lead with property tax until the sample is split by neighbourhood and property condition. At that price range, two listings described as Montreal serviced apartments may not be close substitutes. Do your 37 days include relisted properties, and are you comparing asking prices with recent completed sales or only active stock? Withdrawals could also make the apparently faster segment look stronger than it is.
 
Ibrahim’s point about relisting is important, but financing and seller motivation deserve equal attention. A serviced-apartment listing may attract a different buyer pool depending on how the property is operated and what ongoing costs are disclosed. I’d track each listing’s original date, cuts, condition, neighbourhood boundary and whether it vanished without a sale. If stale units cut after a similar interval while cleaner listings complete, tax probably isn’t the main dividing line.
 
Back
Top