Montreal property transactions: questions people often ask too late

bakesAndGarden

Homeowner
Established
Property questions often become urgent only after timing has narrowed the options. Financing deadlines are one concern I see misunderstood around Montreal transactions.

I work around the local property market and am happy to discuss how I assess pricing evidence, negotiation boundaries, lease terms, document responsibility, professional coordination and potential conflicts. Please mention the jurisdiction and property type, since practice elsewhere in Canada may differ. I can describe my approach and help identify the next checks, while keeping legal, lending and tax matters distinct where regulated advice is needed. Contributions from people familiar with other Canadian markets are welcome.
 
Montreal condo question: if the asking price looks reasonable but there may be competing offers, what pricing evidence should a buyer request before deciding on a ceiling? I’d also want to know whether the person presenting the comparables represents only me or has any connection to the listing.
 
I’d ask for the evidence in separate buckets: recent comparable transactions, current competing listings and the subject property’s own listing history. They do not carry equal weight. Then ask what adjustments were made for condition, size, location within the building and other material differences. Toronto practice may not map neatly onto Montreal, but the reasoning behind the proposed ceiling should still be explainable.
 
The difficult word there is “comparable.” Two units nearby can still differ enough that a neat price-per-unit calculation gives false confidence. I’d want the agent to identify the weakest comparison as well as the strongest one. If every difference somehow supports bidding higher, the analysis is not testing the price very hard.
 
A related surprise is financing timing. Buyers sometimes discuss a lender’s general comfort with their budget as though the particular property is already acceptable. Before negotiating a short deadline, ask exactly what remains to be assessed, who needs which documents and how much time each person says they need.
 
Montreal plex rather than condo: how early should a buyer ask for leases and related property documents? Also, if a buyer pays for an inspection or another report, does that automatically mean the buyer may distribute it later, or should ownership and permitted use be confirmed with the provider first?
 
To clarify my condo example, the pressure would be a seller’s offer deadline, not an urgent need to move. That makes me think the ceiling and financing plan should be settled before the deadline. I would rather lose the unit than discover afterward that assumptions about approval or timing were never confirmed.
 
That is sensible, but I would not respond by loading an offer with conditions that nobody has checked for workable timing. First call the lender and any other professional involved, describe the actual property and proposed dates, and ask what they can realistically complete. A protective clause is less useful if its deadline cannot be met.
 
My pre-offer list would be: written rationale for the price range; maximum price chosen without relying on a future renegotiation; known documents received and missing documents listed; financing steps assigned to named parties; deadlines put on one calendar; and any representation conflict disclosed before strategy is discussed. The exact paperwork and professional roles depend on the jurisdiction.
 
One caveat: the seller’s timetable should not become the buyer’s financing timetable by default. If the lender cannot assess the file within the proposed period, the real choices may be requesting different terms or walking away. Pretending the timing works is not a negotiation strategy.
 
Leo’s document list is useful, but I would add who owns each item and who is allowed to rely on it. Receiving a copy is not necessarily the same as having permission to reuse or circulate it. For a plex with leases, I’d also want unexplained gaps or inconsistent dates raised before pricing discussions become emotionally fixed.
 
Agreed. I’m now seeing two separate decisions: what the condo appears to be worth based on imperfect evidence, and what risk I’m willing to accept under the available timeline. A high ceiling should not compensate for unanswered financing or document questions. I’d ask for a written sequence of calls and deadlines before authorizing an offer.
 
How should conflict disclosure work in practice when one professional has some connection to more than one participant? I’m less interested in a generic form than in knowing what changes operationally: what information can be shared, whose negotiating instructions are followed, and whether independent representation should be discussed. Presumably the regulated answer varies by province and role.
 
That last point ties the thread together. Ask about relationships before revealing a ceiling or negotiating priorities, confirm each professional’s scope, and send key instructions in writing. Then separate three questions: market evidence, acceptable contractual risk and whether the financing schedule is feasible. If any answer depends on Quebec-specific duties or document rights, get it from the appropriately regulated local professional rather than assuming another province’s process applies.
 
Back
Top