Montreal townhouse: seller repairs, closing credit or price reduction?

musicAndWorkshop

First-time buyer
The seller is willing to commission the repairs, which sounds convenient, but I am hesitant to leave the contractor choice and specification in their hands. The inspection on this 1,940 sq ft Montreal townhouse identified several manageable items, with estimates adding up to roughly C$13,500.

If the lender accepts it, would a credit at closing be more useful than taking C$13,500 off the price? A low appraisal could change that calculation, so I am checking both the financing limits and my inspection deadline. I also plan to use completed sales of comparable townhouses when presenting the request, rather than relying on current listings. The seller’s reason for moving may determine whether cash, price or quick resolution matters most to them.
 
If cash at closing is the concern, a credit is generally more useful than the same price reduction because the monthly-payment difference from C$13,500 may be modest. But get written confirmation from the lender before amending anything; the credit may need to be structured or limited.

Are the estimates itemized, and does your inspection protection clearly allow renegotiation or withdrawal before the response deadline? That matters for your deposit exposure and leverage.
 
I wouldn’t assume the credit is automatically best. If financing rules restrict it, or the appraisal comes in below the agreed price, a reduction could be cleaner. Seller-arranged repairs also carry the risk that the cheapest acceptable scope wins.

I’d compare completed sales of similar Montreal townhouses in similar condition, then send one documented proposal: credit first, price reduction as the fallback. The seller’s motivation may determine which option they accept.
 
Back
Top