More room to negotiate after 100 days on Madrid country homes?

plantsAndHarbor

Property investor
I’m trying to judge whether buyers now have more negotiating room on country homes around Madrid priced from €544,600 to €817,000. I’m seeing listings reach roughly 100 days, but the market feels split rather than uniformly fast or slow. Homes with a clear answer on whether they are vacant or occupied seem to move differently, and condition and energy label may also matter.

Has anyone tracked recent completed sales against the public asking-price history? I’m particularly interested in when cuts occurred and whether long-listed homes actually sold or were simply withdrawn.
 
At 100 days I would negotiate, but I wouldn’t assume the seller is ready for a large reduction. The useful distinction is between 100 days at one price and 100 days with several cuts. A recent cut can mean the seller has finally become realistic—or that they now consider the revised figure firm.
 
How wide an area do you mean by “around Madrid”? Country properties on opposite sides of the region can share a price band without sharing the same buyer pool. I’d narrow this to municipality, travel time and plot/property condition before comparing days on market. Also, by vacant do you mean available on completion, or simply unoccupied during viewings?
 
I’m not convinced the energy label is driving negotiation by itself. Buyers may use it as shorthand for likely work, but visible condition, heating arrangements and the overall uncertainty around renovation can matter more. A poor label on an otherwise well-explained property is different from a listing where the label is one of several unanswered questions.
 
Withdrawn stock is the trap here. If a home disappears after 100 days, that doesn’t establish a completed sale or its final price. It could return later with different photos, a changed asking price or another agent. I’d keep separate lists for confirmed completions, withdrawals and relistings rather than treating every removed advert as sold.
 
Seller motivation is probably more useful than the raw listing age. A vacant property with ongoing costs and a seller working to a timeline creates a different negotiation from a country home that the owner is content to keep. Before offering, ask what completion timing the seller wants and whether they are considering offers now, rather than opening only with a percentage below asking.
 
Buyer financing can also explain the split. Two similar offers are not necessarily equally attractive if one depends on a longer or less certain financing process. Anyone comparing completed examples should note whether the apparent discount may have been exchanged for a cleaner timetable or fewer conditions. The headline price difference alone won’t show that trade-off.
 
There’s also a case against waiting for another price cut. If a suitable home has already spent 100 days online, make a reasoned offer based on condition and unresolved items. Waiting for the advert to drop can attract other buyers who had set a search ceiling just below the old price. A private negotiation may be better than reacting to public cuts.
 
To answer Luca’s distinction, I’d record four dates: first appearance, each public cut, withdrawal, and any later relisting. For the location issue, use tight boundaries rather than one Madrid-wide set. Then add simple notes for vacant/occupied, obvious work, energy label and financing complications. Even without many confirmed final prices, that should reveal which listings are genuinely lingering.
 
One caveat: the public asking history may be incomplete if the property was marketed differently before the listing you found. I’d ask the agent directly how long it has been available, whether the current seller has rejected offers, and what would make an offer workable. They may not disclose figures, but even a vague answer can show whether price or timing is the obstacle.
 
Agreed. I’d shortlist only genuine substitutes, then compare them line by line rather than trying to calculate one Madrid discount. For each: exact area, current and earlier asking prices, days since the latest cut, condition, occupancy, energy label, and seller timing. If the seller won’t clarify basic occupancy or completion points, price the uncertainty into the offer—or move on.
 
Back
Top