Mortgage quote in Malaysia: comparing 4.76% fixed for five years

BramVoss

Homeowner
If the payment becomes uncomfortable after year five, choosing the attractive initial rate will have solved the wrong problem. I am considering a Kuala Lumpur property at about MYR 3,995,000 and have a quote for 4.76% fixed for five years. Once fees and the relevant loan-to-value band are applied, it is less competitive than the headline suggested.

My broker expects refinancing to be an option later, which may be reasonable, but I would prefer the purchase to remain manageable even if that route is unavailable. For a fair five-year comparison, should I set out the upfront charges, monthly payments, interest paid and remaining balance for each loan?

I am also reviewing portability and early-payment conditions. Is the most useful next step to ask each lender for projected payments after the fixed period at several higher rates?
 
I would compare cash flows over the same five-year period: upfront fees, monthly payments, any compulsory costs in the quote, and the outstanding balance at the end. The balance matters because two loans with similar five-year payments can leave you owing different amounts. APR is useful only if every lender has calculated it on the same basis.
 
What loan amount and tenure are you actually considering? The purchase price alone does not show the impact of the loan-to-value tier. I would also ask each lender for the payment after the fixed period under a few higher-rate assumptions. A comfortable payment today can hide a difficult reset in year six.
 
I would not automatically include every upfront charge in a five-year comparison as though it disappears after five years. If you keep the loan beyond the fixed period, those fees are spread over longer. Run at least two cases: refinance or repay after five years, and retain the loan after the reset. That avoids choosing a product solely for the broker’s expected refinancing path.
 
That is fair, but the five-year exit case still deserves priority if refinancing is being presented as the likely plan. In that case, ask for the exact outstanding principal after payment 60 plus any amount payable to leave then. Otherwise the projected saving from refinancing may be consumed by exit costs and another round of arrangement fees.
 
Portability also needs a precise explanation rather than a yes/no answer. Ask what happens if the replacement property costs less, requires a different loan-to-value, or is bought before the current one is sold. A portability clause may preserve some terms without guaranteeing that the full loan transfers. Get the lender’s conditions in writing and compare them with the early-repayment wording.
 
For affordability, I would separate “best-value quote” from “payment I can safely carry.” Build a simple table for the fixed five years, then test the post-fix payment at several higher rates without assuming a refinance is available. If the numbers only work when you refinance promptly, the risk is not really the quoted 4.76%; it is the lack of room at the reset.
 
Back
Top