Mortgage quote in Poland: 6.13% fixed for 3 years - am I overthinking this?

The lender presents 6.13% fixed for three years as a competitive quote, but I’m hesitant because the fee structure and loan-to-value band make the headline rate less informative. The Warsaw purchase is around PLN 770,200.

What would you put side by side across lenders: APR, cash paid by the end of month 36, the balance left at that date, or some combination of all three? I also need to distinguish fees paid now from those added to the mortgage.

The payment is affordable at present. My concern is what happens if refinancing is unattractive after three years, so I’m reviewing the reset terms, early-payment charges and portability rather than assuming I can switch easily.
 
For a three-year decision, I would compare the cash paid through month 36 and the mortgage balance remaining at that point. APR is useful, but a full-term figure may not reflect your likely holding or refinancing period. Put every offer on the same loan amount and repayment term, then include upfront fees and any fees added to the loan.
 
Is PLN 770,200 the property price or the amount being borrowed? That distinction matters because you mentioned the loan-to-value tier. Also, are the arrangement fees payable upfront or financed? If one lender adds them to the balance, the initial cash requirement looks better while interest and the remaining balance may look worse.
 
I wouldn’t push APR aside too quickly. It is a good first filter because a low headline rate can be offset by charges. The problem is relying on it alone. Ask each lender for the assumptions behind the figure and an amortization schedule, then compare the same three-year point. Different loan terms or fee treatment can otherwise make the offers look more comparable than they really are.
 
Portability would be secondary for me unless you genuinely expect to move during the fixed period. The word itself is less useful than the conditions attached to it. Ask what happens if the replacement property, loan-to-value, or required loan amount differs. For early repayment, get the possible costs and timing conditions in writing rather than assuming the general sales description covers your situation.
 
One more thing: don’t compare only the first 36 monthly payments. Two repayment structures can produce similar payments but leave different balances at the reset date. That remaining debt affects both the cost of staying with the lender and any future refinancing decision.
 
The biggest risk in your post is the refinance assumption. I’d run at least three month-37 payment scenarios: the rate stays similar, it falls, and it rises enough to be uncomfortable. You don’t need to predict the correct rate; the point is to see whether the purchase still works without a favorable refinance. Include normal ownership costs separately so the mortgage payment isn’t mistaken for total affordability.
 
I’d request itemized offers from the lenders and build one simple table: cash fees at completion, amount actually borrowed, monthly payments for 36 months, total paid by then, balance after month 36, and the stated early-repayment and portability conditions. Keep APR in the table as a warning signal, not the sole winner. If one offer only looks attractive because it assumes you can refinance cheaply in three years, that is useful information in itself.
 
Back
Top