Mumbai detached home at ₹18.37m: which costs are easy to overlook?

pebble.ready

Homeowner
Before making an offer, I need to decide whether this Mumbai detached home should be held in my own name or through another permitted arrangement. That choice may matter more than the initial estimate, although I still need a realistic figure for a purchase around ₹18,370,000.

Besides transfer tax, registration and legal or notarial work, what purchase disbursements and recurring property charges should appear in the written estimate? I also need to understand whether residency affects ownership, how a later sale may be treated for capital gains, and what the arrangement would mean for inheritance. Which points can the seller or agent document, and which should go directly to a licensed local adviser?
 
I’d separate the list into purchase costs, annual charges, and costs triggered later by sale or inheritance. Ask for every quoted fee to state whether taxes and third-party disbursements are included. Also clarify whether this is a new or resale property, as the paperwork and charging structure may differ. The biggest missing fact is your residency status and intended ownership name or structure.
 
I’d go further: don’t treat this mainly as a closing-cost exercise until a Mumbai professional has confirmed that the proposed ownership arrangement is permitted and the title documents match what is being sold. A neat percentage estimate can create false confidence. Request two written lists—amounts due before registration and obligations continuing afterward—then ask separately how a future sale, change in residency, or inheritance would be treated.
 
Back
Top