Mumbai inventory shifted in December 2024 — what are you seeing?

writesAndTimber

First-time buyer
I’m torn between reading this as stronger demand for the best Mumbai properties and treating it as a thin December sample. In December 2024, well-presented duplexes in the group I’m watching appeared to move in about 11 days, while homes needing work remained available. The difference between visible asking figures and completed prices seems to be around 2.9%, although price revisions may be muddying that comparison.

Has anyone seen enough neighbourhood-level transactions to tell whether buyers are becoming choosier? I would be interested in original asks, later reductions, completed prices and volumes, along with any policy timing that may have shifted completions. Listing supply looks higher to me, but the number of appealing options does not. 😅
 
My first concern would be sample size. An 11-day figure can look dramatic if it comes from only a handful of unusually attractive duplexes. How many sales are behind it, and are the asking prices the original figures or the latest prices after revisions? The 2.9% gap means something different if sellers already cut before agreeing a deal. Transaction volume would also help distinguish faster demand from a better-quality batch of listings.
 
I’d be cautious about calling it a broad shift from one month. December timing can distort both listings and completions, and Mumbai’s neighbourhood variation makes a citywide comparison weak.

I’d split the data by neighbourhood, duplex size and condition, then compare original ask, final ask, completed price and days on market. Repeat that for adjacent months and note any policy timing that could have influenced completions. If the 11 days and roughly 2.9% gap persist with decent volume, selectivity becomes a stronger explanation than seasonality.
 
Back
Top