The main constraint is that the rent needs to survive a weak year, not just make the purchase price look reasonable. This would be my first rental: a 5-bed new-build flat in Mumbai costing ₹93,940,000, with projected rent of ₹437,300 a month. On those figures the gross yield is about 5.6%.
I have included periods without a tenant, management cost, day-to-day upkeep and a separate allowance for a substantial repair. What I cannot yet judge is whether the larger drag will come from tenant turnover or from recurring ownership costs such as society charges, insurance and property tax. The building's own reserve position could also shift expenses back to owners.
Would you test the ₹437,300 against achieved rents before deciding what net yield is acceptable? I am less concerned with squeezing out the highest headline return than with knowing which local charge or occupancy risk could turn an apparently sound deal into a poor one.
I have included periods without a tenant, management cost, day-to-day upkeep and a separate allowance for a substantial repair. What I cannot yet judge is whether the larger drag will come from tenant turnover or from recurring ownership costs such as society charges, insurance and property tax. The building's own reserve position could also shift expenses back to owners.
Would you test the ₹437,300 against achieved rents before deciding what net yield is acceptable? I am less concerned with squeezing out the highest headline return than with knowing which local charge or occupancy risk could turn an apparently sound deal into a poor one.