Munich 105 m² condo at €414,000: adjusting limited comparables

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
€414,000 for 105 m² is about €3,943 per m², which is the figure pulling me toward this Munich 2-bed. It is in average condition, with good light and location, but the interior is dated and the building may need further reserve contributions.

My evidence is thin: three current asking prices and only one completed comparable. I have allowed eleven months of rent in the income case, yet the repair reserve still seems optimistic. Would you deduct an estimated works budget rather than apply a general condition percentage? I’m also unsure how much weight to give a size-adjusted €/m² figure without knowing how closely the completed sale matches the unit.

The service charges, reserve position and details of that sale are the facts I’m trying to verify next. I will still obtain a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
I would anchor to the completed sale and treat the three listings as upper-bound evidence, not equal comparables. For condition, run scenarios rather than choose one precise deduction: perhaps no adjustment, 5% and 10%, then replace those with actual works estimates where possible. Keep potential common-building costs separate from the dated interior.
 
One more thing: how large is the completed comparable, and how close is it to this unit? Without that, a floor-area adjustment could create false precision. A 105 m² apartment should not automatically inherit the same €/m² as a materially smaller one.
 
The missing fact most likely to move my view is the exact micro-location combined with the unit’s position in the building. Light sounds good, but floor, outlook, street noise and lift access can explain a large apparent gap between two nearby condos. Does it have a balcony, terrace or other private outdoor space?
 
I disagree slightly with starting at a 5–10% condition deduction. “Dated” can mean visually old but usable, or it can mean replacement is unavoidable. I’d grade kitchen, bathrooms, windows, heating and surfaces separately, then deduct only the work a typical buyer would reasonably price in.
 
Fair point. My scenario range was meant as a sensitivity test, not a conclusion. Naomi, if the completed sale had better finishes, compare both the likely refurbishment difference and its sale date. Otherwise condition may end up compensating for differences that actually came from timing or location.
 
The rent approach needs more detail. Is the apartment vacant or currently let, what is the monthly rent, and what is included? Using eleven months can represent a vacancy allowance, but it does not resolve whether service charges, non-recoverable costs or the current lease terms weaken the income case.
 
Also separate parking from the apartment before comparing €/m². The same applies to outdoor space and storage. If one comparable includes parking and another does not, the headline price-per-metre comparison will be distorted even when the interiors are similar.
 
The completed comparable is doing nearly all the work here, so I’d want a simple side-by-side: size, floor, condition, outdoor space, parking, occupancy, sale timing and distance from this building. Until those are known, €3,943/m² is a useful description of the asking price, not a valuation.
 
The light reserve may matter more than the dated finishes if substantial common work is being considered. Ask for the available reserve balance, service-charge breakdown and information about planned building works. I would not deduct an assumed bill yet, but I would model a separate downside case.
 
For the interior, use three grades: habitable as-is, cosmetic refresh, and major renewal. Assign each component to one grade and get rough costs for the items in the last two. That makes the adjustment explainable and prevents a new kitchen from being treated the same as an entire outdated apartment.
 
I would not subtract possible common-building expenditure euro for euro from value. Buyers may discount uncertainty, but the timing, likelihood and benefit of the work matter. A roof or façade project could be costly while also improving the asset. Probability-weight the scenarios instead of assuming the worst one occurs.
 
A practical worksheet would have four columns: subject property, completed sale, best competing listing and adjustment. Use separate rows for micro-location, floor/area, condition, parking, outdoor space and building finances. Then produce a low, central and high figure rather than forcing every uncertainty into one number.
 
How old is the completed transaction? If it is much earlier than the three current listings, the gap may reflect timing rather than condition. I’d also verify that the reported 105 m² and the comparable areas are measured on a consistent basis before making any per-metre adjustment.
 
Three asking prices can still reveal the seller’s competition, but not what buyers ultimately accept. I would watch whether those units remain available or change price while the local appraisal is arranged. That gives context for any offer without pretending the listings are completed evidence.
 
The eleven-month rent calculation may be mixing two different questions. For an investor, lease terms, rent and ongoing costs drive the income view. For an owner-occupier, light, layout and micro-location may dominate. I’d calculate both approaches and investigate why they differ rather than averaging them.
 
Of all the missing items mentioned, I’d prioritise building finances and planned works. Interior condition can be inspected and costed; an underfunded common reserve with uncertain future expenditure is harder to price. After that, I’d want the completed sale’s exact size and micro-location before adjusting for floor area.
 
One final caveat: confirm whether parking, storage or outdoor areas are included in the €414,000 and whether the completed comparable bundled the same rights. Those items should be valued consistently rather than hidden inside the €/m² calculation. That could explain part of the apparent difference without changing the condition adjustment.
 
Back
Top