Munich 215 m² serviced apartment at €1.03m: adjusting thin comparables

SharpGrove

Landlord
Established
I have only a short window to decide whether to pursue this, yet the evidence is too thin to support a precise offer. The Munich property is a 215 m², four-bedroom serviced apartment listed for €1,030,000 and has been on the market for 18 days. It appears bright and well located, though the finishes are older and the building reserve may require further spending.

There are three relevant listings but just one recorded transaction. I do not want to make that sale the main benchmark simply because it completed. If it matches the immediate micro-location, size, condition and floor-area definition, I would start there and use the active listings as an upper guide. If it belongs to a different pocket of Munich, I would use a wider range based on the nearest properties instead.

Before narrowing anything, should the first check be the exact location, what “serviced” means contractually, or the service charges and reserve position? Parking and outdoor space also remain unknown. If those points are acceptable and I continue, I will arrange a local appraisal.
 
With only one achieved price, the practical problem is deciding whether that sale is truly comparable. I would not make it the main reference merely because it completed. If it matches the immediate area, size and condition, use it as the starting point and let the active listings set an upper boundary. If it sits in a materially different part of Munich, build a wider range from the closest properties instead.

The harder issue to reverse is any operator arrangement attached to the apartment. Confirm whether there is a lease, how long it has left, the income and exit terms, and who pays the service charges. A dated kitchen can be priced; an unsuitable operating agreement can change the whole buyer pool.
 
How close is the completed comparable in micro-location, size and condition? A sale elsewhere in Munich may be less informative than a nearby asking comparable if the locations are materially different. I’d also confirm that all four properties use a comparable floor-area definition before calculating any adjustment.
 
One more thing: separate the apartment’s dated finishes from the building’s financial position. Cosmetic work is at least visible and can be estimated. Unclear service charges, planned works or reserve exposure can affect both affordability and buyer appetite, so I’d want those details before assigning a condition discount.
 
I partly disagree with leading on condition. If this is genuinely a serviced apartment tied to an operating arrangement, lease length and income terms could matter more than dated finishes. If it is simply being marketed as suitable for serviced use and comes with vacant possession, then the comparable-sales approach carries more weight. Eighteen days is too little time to read anything into the listing history.
 
That distinction is helpful. I don’t yet have confirmed details on any operator lease, the service-charge position or the building reserves, so those are now the first requests. The asking price works out at roughly €4,790 per m², but I take the point that this is only a starting calculation, especially for a 215 m² unit.
 
For condition, I’d avoid choosing an arbitrary percentage. Grade each comparable on the same simple basis—dated, average or renovated—then list the actual differences in kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and building works. If reliable renovation estimates become available, they can inform the adjustment, but they shouldn’t automatically be deducted euro for euro.
 
Also compare both total price and price per square metre. A superficially attractive €/m² figure can still leave a limited buyer pool at the higher absolute price. Was the one completed sale recent, and did it include parking or outdoor space? Those differences should be shown separately rather than buried in one broad adjustment.
 
I’d make a one-page comparison table: achieved or asking price, date, distance within the micro-location, floor area, condition, lease status, service charges, parking and outdoor space. Mark unknowns rather than guessing. That will quickly show whether the completed sale is genuinely the anchor or merely the only transaction you happened to find.
 
Agreed on marking unknowns. Hugo’s current figure has too many unresolved inputs for a narrow valuation range. The useful outcome at this stage may be a conditional range: one view if it is vacant and financially straightforward, another if there is an operator lease or significant building expenditure. The local appraisal can then test both cases.
 
Before going further, I would ask exactly what the listing means by “serviced apartment.” Is that a description of current operation, a contractual arrangement, or simply marketing language? That answer determines whether ordinary residential comparables are truly comparable. It may also explain why the available evidence is thin.
 
The practical order now seems clear: establish the serviced-use and lease position, obtain the service-charge and reserve information, then verify the completed comparable’s micro-location, date, area basis, parking and outdoor space. After that, ask the appraiser to explain separately how the 215 m² size and average condition affect the conclusion rather than accepting a single unexplained €/m² figure.
 
Back
Top