Nairobi inventory shifted in March 2026 — seasonal noise or buyer selectivity?

cyclesAndFinch

Homeowner
Established
I’m tracking Nairobi property listings and the mix seemed to change in March 2026. Well-presented detached homes appear to be moving in roughly 119 days, while homes needing work remain available longer. The part I can’t reconcile is asking prices against completed deals: the visible gap looks close to 6.1%.

Is this a short seasonal move, or are buyers becoming more selective despite the increase in listings? I’d especially value completed transaction examples or direct local observations. Please say which neighbourhood you follow rather than treating Nairobi as one market. There are more listings, just not many I’d actually buy.
 
My direct answer is that the figures alone don’t distinguish seasonality from selectivity. A 6.1% gap can look meaningful, but only if asking and sold prices cover comparable homes and the same period. Transaction volume matters too: a small number of completions could shift the result sharply. I’d treat March as a signal to investigate, not yet a trend.
 
When was the March dataset pulled, and can earlier figures be revised when late completions appear? Also, how many detached homes produced the 119-day figure? Without the sample size, one or two unusually quick or slow sales could dominate it. It would help to split initial asking price from the final advertised price before sale as well.
 
I’m not convinced the 119 days necessarily shows that polished homes are winning. We need to know how days on market is counted, particularly where a listing disappears and later returns. Condition may also be standing in for pricing: homes needing work might simply be listed as though the renovation cost does not exist.
 
The neighbourhood split is essential. I’d build a simple table for each area followed: property type, condition, first asking price, last asking price, completed price where available, listing date and completion date. Then compare March 2026 with several surrounding months rather than one citywide snapshot. Keep withdrawn listings separate from confirmed sales, and note any policy timing that may have affected when buyers completed.
 
That table would resolve most of my concern. I’d add the number of transactions in every row so a percentage never appears without its base. If the 6.1% gap persists across multiple neighbourhoods and months while volumes remain comparable, selectivity becomes more plausible. If it is concentrated in a few March completions, Helena’s seasonal-noise interpretation is stronger.
 
Back
Top