Nairobi investor comparing asking prices with completed deals

garden.far

Property investor
Retail units in Nairobi can look comparable until the underlying deal figures are separated. My main concern is distinguishing genuine purchase evidence from optimistic asking prices while also accounting for transaction costs.

I’m here to learn how investors in other markets organise that research. For Kenya, which sources or forum sections are most useful for checking completed deals and first-purchase due diligence? I’d also be interested in discussions about property management and mortgage comparisons, although I have not yet decided whether financing or rental income should drive the analysis.
 
Before choosing a data source, decide what the figures need to answer. If you are estimating rental returns, record lease income and ongoing management costs alongside the purchase price; a retail unit with a lower price but a heavy service-charge burden may be the worse deal. If the immediate goal is only to benchmark acquisition values, keep asking figures, verified sale figures and transaction costs in separate columns.

The local board can help with context, but it cannot resolve the comparison unless the same definitions are used throughout. Which of those two goals comes first for you?
 
I’d put property management and lease details ahead of broad price comparisons for retail units. A completed price is useful, but not necessarily a good comparable if occupancy, tenant obligations, renovation needs or ongoing management differ. Perhaps build a legal and cost checklist first, then use it consistently when examining listings and completed transactions. Mortgage comparisons can come later if financing is part of the plan.
 
Back
Top