Nairobi new-build flats: service charges and uneven listing movement

RealTimber

First-time buyer
Cutting the asking price early may attract financed buyers, but waiting for firmer evidence risks another long spell on the market. Neither conclusion feels convincing from the small sample I saved in October 2024.

These Nairobi new-build flats are advertised between KES 121,800,000 and KES 182,700,000, with active listings averaging about 112 days. Their movement has been uneven, and service charges may be affecting affordability as much as price. Would you watch new-listing volume and buyer financing first, or treat the timing of price reductions as the more useful signal?
 
I would treat it as property-level variation until completed sales show otherwise. At those prices, two flats labelled “new-build” may still differ substantially in condition, exact neighbourhood, service charge and seller motivation.

Are your 112 days based only on active listings? Withdrawn stock and relisted units could make the apparent marketing period misleading.
 
Yes, the 112 days is from the active listings I saved, so withdrawals are a gap. I also need to tighten the neighbourhood boundaries; nearby developments may not be genuine substitutes.

Would you separate developer stock from individual resales? My thought is to record new-listing volume, withdrawals and the timing of each price cut, then compare those with recent completed sales where available.
 
Definitely separate them, but I’m less confident that service charges are merely property-level noise. Buyers relying on financing may react differently to recurring costs than buyers focused mainly on the purchase price, so listings can split into distinct groups even within a narrow area.

Also note whether a cut happens early or only after a long period without movement. Those patterns may reveal seller motivation better than the size of the reduction alone.
 
One more caveat: don’t interpret every withdrawal as a failed sale. Without a confirmed completion, it remains ambiguous.

I’d use a simple property-by-property table: original asking price, current price, first-seen date, service charge, condition, development or resale status, price-cut dates, and whether it disappeared or completed. After a few updates, you should be able to see whether the divergence is tied to particular buildings or is spreading across your defined area.
 
Back
Top