readTheBench
Buyer
I would prefer to turn a weak reserve position into a clear price adjustment, but the obstacle is that the buyer’s future exposure may be impossible to quantify. The Nairobi townhouses I reviewed were marketed from KES 25,800,000 to KES 38,700,000, with apparent movement of +1.1% and a median marketing period near 26 days. Differences in condition make those figures noisy.
My working rule is to exclude an estate when its shared obligations, planned work and available funds cannot be established. If those items are clear enough to estimate the owner’s share, the reserve shortfall can instead form part of the negotiation. I would still match by estate and neighbourhood and note whether financing complications or a rise in competing listings affected the buyer’s options. Does that seem more defensible than treating every thin reserve as an automatic deal-breaker?
My working rule is to exclude an estate when its shared obligations, planned work and available funds cannot be established. If those items are clear enough to estimate the owner’s share, the reserve shortfall can instead form part of the negotiation. I would still match by estate and neighbourhood and note whether financing complications or a rise in competing listings affected the buyer’s options. Does that seem more defensible than treating every thin reserve as an automatic deal-breaker?