I would prefer the lower-effort option, but I do not want convenience to hide weak building finances. I’m comparing a 160 m² new-build flat in Oslo with a similarly priced townhouse, and the purchase prices alone are not helping me decide.
For the flat, I want to examine service charges, insurance, energy use, shared reserves and the chance of future increases or one-off demands. For the townhouse, the harder issue is pricing the time and uneven expense involved in maintaining the roof, exterior, drainage and other components myself. Resale liquidity and possible tenant demand also matter if my plans change.
What should I inspect or request now to compare those risks realistically, and which responsibilities usually become noticeable only after living there for a while?
For the flat, I want to examine service charges, insurance, energy use, shared reserves and the chance of future increases or one-off demands. For the townhouse, the harder issue is pricing the time and uneven expense involved in maintaining the roof, exterior, drainage and other components myself. Resale liquidity and possible tenant demand also matter if my plans change.
What should I inspect or request now to compare those risks realistically, and which responsibilities usually become noticeable only after living there for a while?