New here: first-time buyer in Mumbai

HonestHarbor

First-time buyer
Hello from Mumbai. I’m a first-time buyer, currently trying to understand studios, transaction costs, and why advertised prices can differ so much from completed deals. I joined to compare notes across markets rather than stay in a local bubble. For anyone following India: where should I begin—the local board, a market dataset, or a first-purchase checklist?
 
A useful first question is whether you are comparing studios for occupation or for rental. If it will be your home, layout, building management and likely renovation disruption may outweigh small price differences. If it is an investment, test achievable rent and ongoing costs instead. In either case, advertised prices are only a starting point; recent completed deals for closely matched properties are the better check.
 
I’d reverse that order slightly. Begin with a legal and transaction-cost checklist so you know what must sit outside the headline price, then compare completed deals for genuinely similar properties. Cross-market mortgage or investment models can be educational, but financing terms and purchase procedures vary by jurisdiction. Emil, are you looking only within Mumbai, and do you already have a target budget and purchase timeline?
 
Back
Top