New here: homeowner in Melbourne

pine.simple

Homeowner
Already owning a home in Melbourne changes what I am looking for here: I am not starting with basic buying steps, but I still have plenty of first-purchase-style questions about mixed-use property and investment modelling.

I would like to understand how asking prices compare with completed sales once transaction costs, condition and tenancy are included. I am also interested in legal checklists, particularly where a building combines residential and commercial uses. Would the Australia board be the best starting point, or should I first build a small set of ordinary Melbourne sales as a baseline?
 
A useful comparison is the goal. The difficulty is that mixed-use buildings can be so individual that they make a poor starting sample.

I would begin with ordinary Melbourne properties of a consistent type and date range, using listing histories alongside completed prices where available. Discussions of individual sales can then supply the missing context—condition, renovation and tenancy—while transaction costs stay in a separate column. Once that baseline is clear, mixed-use examples are easier to assess rather than being treated as evidence of the wider market.
 
One question: are you studying mixed-use buildings as a possible investment, or simply trying to understand how they affect nearby residential values? Those lead down different paths. For a purchase, financing, leases, outgoings and permitted uses quickly matter. For market comparison, consistent property categories and comparable sale dates are more important.
 
I wouldn’t begin with mixed-use threads. They can be interesting, but the properties are often too individual to teach you much about the broader market. First get comfortable comparing advertised and completed prices for ordinary properties in the same area. Then mixed-use examples will stand out for identifiable reasons instead of looking like random exceptions.
 
That’s fair, although the unusual cases may be exactly what alex wants to study. A practical approach would be two reading lists: one for general Melbourne market data and mortgage comparisons, another for mixed-use due diligence. For the second, note questions about current occupants, property management, renovation constraints and which legal points need local confirmation.
 
For investment modelling, avoid filling every unknown with one optimistic assumption. Keep purchase price, transaction costs, renovation, ongoing management and financing separate. Then run at least a plain case and a more expensive case. That also makes cross-market comparisons cleaner, because you can see whether an apparent bargain is just shifting costs into another category.
 
Welcome, alex. The first-purchase discussions may still be useful even though you already own, particularly the checklists around mortgages and legal work. Just remember that mixed-use property can introduce jurisdiction- and building-specific issues, so forum checklists are better used to form questions than as a substitute for local advice.
 
Back
Top