New here: real estate agent in Johannesburg

CarefulRidge

Real estate agent
I have already looked through some of the Johannesburg discussions, but it is still unclear where the strongest material on small multifamily properties sits. My main interests are completed-price evidence, transaction and operating costs, investment modelling, and how renovation needs affect the numbers.

Would you begin with the local board if the aim is neighbourhood-level market data, then use the wider sections for renovation and deal analysis? Or is there a particular discussion area that is more useful when comparing asking prices with completed sales? I am hoping to learn from other markets without losing the Johannesburg context.
 
Welcome. I’d begin on the local board and split your reading into two tracks: completed-price evidence and the full cost of acquiring and operating a property. Asking for one dataset may be too broad, because the useful source can depend on whether you are comparing neighbourhoods, modelling rent, or checking an individual deal.
 
What do you mean by small multifamily in your Johannesburg work—converted houses, purpose-built blocks, or simply properties with a few rentable units? That distinction will affect which discussions help. I’d also say whether you want data for advising purchasers or for your own first-purchase analysis; otherwise people may point you toward very different material.
 
Good questions. I’d add property management before renovation research. A model can look convincing while hiding vacancy between tenants, maintenance timing, or management costs. Renovation threads are still useful, but completed prices alone won’t tell you whether improvements produced the difference; location, condition and deal circumstances can all distort the comparison.
 
I slightly disagree with putting management first. Before getting deep into operations, establish a repeatable purchase-cost template and compare mortgage assumptions on the same basis. If the financing and transaction-cost inputs are inconsistent, the later management detail creates false precision. Then stress-test rent, vacancy, repairs and renovation rather than relying on one forecast.
 
A practical way to introduce the question on the South Africa board would be to post one anonymised example with: asking price, known completed-price evidence, expected rent, purchase costs you have included, finance assumptions, management allowance and renovation scope. Members can then spot missing inputs. Keep legal and transfer questions separate and confirm them locally, since checklists from other countries may not carry over.
 
Back
Top