One approach is to settle the ownership structure before looking seriously at apartments; the other is to choose the property first and let its co-op or condominium status guide the advice. I am unsure which sequence makes more sense for a New York purchase around $325,000.
I want separate estimates for the amount due at purchase, yearly property and building charges, and the cost of a later sale or transfer. The breakdown should also identify who handles the legal, filing and any notarial-type work. Residency, capital gains and inheritance are relevant because I do not want a convenient choice now to create a difficult succession or tax issue later. What facts should I assemble before speaking to the New York lawyer and the advisers in my country of tax residence?
I want separate estimates for the amount due at purchase, yearly property and building charges, and the cost of a later sale or transfer. The breakdown should also identify who handles the legal, filing and any notarial-type work. Residency, capital gains and inheritance are relevant because I do not want a convenient choice now to create a difficult succession or tax issue later. What facts should I assemble before speaking to the New York lawyer and the advisers in my country of tax residence?