New York duplex: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
Getting the structure or tax assumptions wrong could cost far more than overlooking a minor closing item. I am now 81 days into preparing for a New York duplex purchase at about $550,000, and the estimates still seem to mix one-off expenses with longer-term liabilities.

I know to ask about transfer and recording costs and the lawyer’s bill. I am less clear on restrictions affecting how the property can be owned, charges that continue each year, and whether residency status or the chosen ownership arrangement changes the position on a later sale or inheritance.

What questions exposed missing costs for other US buyers? I plan to take the final list to licensed New York legal and tax advisers, but I would like it to cover acquisition, ongoing ownership and eventual disposal.
 
One clarification: I’m trying to separate cash needed at closing from costs that arise during ownership or on a later sale. Would it be sensible to ask for three estimates—acquisition, annual holding, and eventual transfer or sale—rather than one closing-cost figure?
 
Yes, splitting it that way should make omissions easier to spot. For the annual column, ask for each property charge, when it is billed, and whether the current figure could change after transfer. For acquisition, ask who pays each transfer and registration item rather than assuming the first estimate includes both sides. Also have the ownership structure priced separately instead of treating it as a purely administrative choice.
 
I’d go further and keep inheritance and capital gains out of the “cost estimate.” They are scenarios, not fixed transaction charges, and the answer may depend on residency, ownership form, use of the duplex, and circumstances at the time of sale or inheritance. A single projected number could create false confidence. Ask the relevant tax professional to compare clearly stated scenarios instead.
 
The missing fact is how the duplex will be used. Will you occupy one unit, rent both, or leave that undecided? Put that answer, your residency position, and the proposed ownership structure in writing before speaking with the New York attorney and tax adviser. Then ask each professional to identify assumptions in their estimate and any item handled by someone else. That should expose gaps without counting the same charge twice.
 
Back
Top