New York retail listings: is lease length driving the gap?

first_canvas

Real estate agent
I’m sense-checking a New York sample priced from $588,000 to $882,000, mostly retail units. The typical listing has been visible for 63 days. Renovated properties seem to move quickly, while the rest sit and eventually get price cuts.

My working theory is that lease length explains much of the gap between quick sales and stale stock. Does that fit what others are seeing, or am I giving it too much weight compared with condition, financing and seller motivation? Recent completed sales or withdrawn listings would be especially useful comparisons.
 
Lease length may matter, but I wouldn’t treat it as the main explanation without separating vacant units from occupied ones and looking at the lease terms, tenant situation and income—not just duration. Your neighbourhood boundaries could also be hiding very different street-level markets inside one sample.

I’d track the first price cut, any withdrawal and relisting, renovation level, and whether financing appears practical. Also compare completed sales rather than asking prices. Are the faster listings concentrated in one neighbourhood or price band?
 
Back
Top