New York warehouse sample: are maintenance issues being negotiated?

fast_moss

Homeowner
The reported New York price movement is +2.2% around $180,000, but that citywide figure feels useless for the two neighbourhoods we like. I pulled a small sample of warehouses from roughly $144,000 to $216,000. Median marketing time was near 115 days, and differences in condition made the pricing picture noisy.

What I cannot settle is maintenance: are buyers negotiating a discount for it, asking sellers to complete work, or simply moving to the next listing? I’m trying to decide whether a tired property is worth pursuing or whether the apparent discount is misleading.
 
First separate deferred repairs from recurring maintenance costs. Visible work can support a specific price negotiation if you can estimate its scope. Ongoing costs are harder to “fix” through a one-time discount and may cause buyers—especially those reliant on financing—to walk away. Also compare completed sales, not just the current asking-price sample.
 
How tightly did you draw the two neighbourhood boundaries? With a small warehouse sample, moving a boundary by a few streets could change the mix of condition, access and seller motivation. I’d also want to know whether that 115-day figure excludes withdrawn listings. Withdrawn stock can hide properties that tested an unrealistic price and never sold.
 
I’m not convinced maintenance is the main signal here. A listing sitting for 115 days may reflect price, limited buyer financing or simply a specialised building. If sellers are cutting prices only after a long wait, the eventual reduction can look like a condition discount when it is really delayed acceptance of the market.
 
That said, condition should not be treated as background noise. Sort the sample into usable now, moderate work and substantial work, even if the categories are rough. Then note original ask, latest ask, days before any cut, and whether the property sold or disappeared. That should reveal whether poorer-condition listings actually clear at a discount or just linger.
 
New-listing volume matters too. Buyers can move on easily when several comparable properties arrive at once; they have less leverage when replacements are scarce. I would track weekly additions and withdrawals within the same boundaries, then ask for recent completed-sale evidence on any property you pursue. The +2.2% headline alone does not tell you which side has negotiating room.
 
Helpful distinction. By maintenance I meant both deferred physical work and the ongoing cost of keeping the property usable, which I was wrongly combining. I’ll redraw the sample around fixed neighbourhood boundaries, separate listings by condition, and add completed sales, withdrawals and price-cut timing. If the tired properties mostly vanish rather than sell, I’ll treat the apparent discount as unproven rather than an opportunity.
 
Back
Top