November 2024: are Rio’s higher-priced coastal homes starting to soften?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I’m seeing more two-bedroom coastal listings in Rio de Janeiro, but still not many I would actually buy. For November 2024 I tracked a narrow band from R$5,869,000 to R$8,803,000 rather than using a citywide average. The current marketing period is roughly 105 days, and property tax looks more significant than the monthly headline suggests. Is the extra choice a negotiating signal, or just ordinary variation between individual properties?
 
On those facts alone, I’d lean toward property-level variation. That price band can still mix very different homes, especially once condition and exact neighbourhood boundaries enter the picture. Are the 105 days measured across the same coastal areas, and do you have recent completed sales rather than asking prices? Without those, more listings may simply mean a different mix of stock.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss an early shift quite so quickly. More supply and a 105-day marketing period could matter if new-listing volume is rising while price cuts happen earlier. Withdrawn listings are important too: they can hide sellers who tested the market and refused lower offers.

I’d split the homes by condition, then note first asking price, cut timing, withdrawal or sale, and whether buyer financing or seller motivation affected the outcome.
 
The property-tax point may be the best filter here. Two homes with similar asking prices can look much less comparable once annual ownership costs and needed work are set beside each other. I’d narrow this to a few tightly defined neighbourhoods and follow the same listings through completion, withdrawal, or relisting. If completed prices weaken across that cleaner group, the case for a broader change becomes stronger.
 
Back
Top