Numbers check: villa versus student housing in Osaka: the real ownership trade-offs - second opinion?

runsAndMeter

First-time buyer
Our adviser flagged the trade-offs but stopped short of saying either option was a bad purchase. I’m comparing a 220 m² villa with similarly priced student housing in Osaka, and I’m struggling to make the costs comparable.

The villa appears simpler operationally, but its size could mean higher energy use, insurance exposure and costly one-off repairs. The student housing may offer more control over occupancy, yet brings tenant turnover, vacancy risk, heavier management and potentially larger irregular costs. If it is in a shared building, I also need to understand whether the reserve contributions are realistic rather than merely low.

My model currently includes maintenance, insurance, energy use, shared-building reserves where applicable, tenant demand and resale liquidity. What am I likely to be missing after year one—especially costs that do not show up clearly in the initial figures? A practical checklist for comparing the two on the same basis would be very helpful.
 
Back
Top