October 2025 Cairo listings: selectivity or seasonal noise?

sanna_ridge

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I’ve been tracking Cairo property listings and, after reviewing the October 2025 entries, I’m unsure whether to treat the change as seasonal or adjust how I read the market. Well-presented condos appear to move in roughly 52 days, while homes needing work remain available longer. Yet the visible difference between asking prices and completed deals is only about 0.3%, which seems difficult to reconcile with that split.

My saved listings are not moving together at all. Are buyers becoming more selective, or is this just a short October effect? Completed transactions or direct neighbourhood observations would be especially useful, with citywide headlines kept separate from the areas actually being followed.
 
Before reading much into 52 days, how large is the sample and when was each listing first captured? A listing that was withdrawn, refreshed or reposted could look newer than it really is. I’d also separate units that completed in October from units first advertised in October; those are two different groups.
 
The 0.3% figure may be the weaker part of the comparison. Is that measured against the original asking price, the last visible asking price, or an asking price recorded shortly before completion? If sellers revise prices during the marketing period, the final visible gap can be tiny even when the total adjustment was meaningful.
 
The 52-day figure needs transaction volume behind it before it says much about buyer behaviour. A few well-presented condos could lower the average without indicating a wider Cairo shift.

I would next split the entries by district, price band and actual condition, then compare the number of fast and slow completions in each group. It is also worth noting whether any policy change or other market event fell within the listing periods rather than assuming October itself caused the difference.
 
There’s also a caveat to the “needs work” category. Condition is subjective, and poor presentation can make a sound property look like a renovation case. I’d record presentation and actual repair needs separately if the listing information allows it. Otherwise the apparent preference for finished homes could partly be a preference for clearer listings.
 
Good points. My 0.3% comparison used the last asking price I had saved, not necessarily the original one, so Liam’s explanation could account for some of it. I also combined October completions regardless of when they were first listed. I’m going back through the entries to add original ask, every visible revision, first-seen date and district. I’ll hold off on calling this a market shift until I can compare volumes and like-for-like properties.
 
That revision history should help. I’d add a status for listings that disappear without a confirmed completion, rather than treating every removal as sold. For seasonal noise, compare October 2025 with more than the immediately preceding month if your records go back far enough. One adjacent month can be distorted by listing timing.
 
Policy timing is another possible confounder, but only if there was a relevant change or widely anticipated event during your observation window. Don’t add it as an explanation by default. First chart when listings, revisions and completions occurred. If the shift clusters around a particular date, then it is worth investigating what else happened at that time.
 
Once the data is rebuilt, I’d use medians within district, price band and condition group rather than one Cairo-wide 52-day figure. Keep two discount measures: original ask to completed price, and final recorded ask to completed price. If polished condos remain faster while both discount measures and transaction counts are stable, selectivity becomes a stronger interpretation; if the result disappears after grouping, it was probably mix rather than a citywide turn.
 
Back
Top