Offer accepted, and now I'm questioning everything - second opinion?

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
After months of searching, our offer on a 4-bed detached home in Tokyo has been accepted at ¥192,000,000. Instead of feeling excited, I’m replaying every compromise: the commute, dated rooms and monthly payment.

Nothing new has gone wrong, and the usual checks still need to happen. How do you distinguish ordinary first-time-buyer panic from a sign that you have stretched too far? Disagreement is welcome, especially if you explain what assumption you would make about a detached home.
 
The sudden doubt can be emotional, but the affordability question is answerable. Work out what remains after moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance, and any immediate repairs—not just the purchase itself. If that leaves a credible emergency fund and the normal monthly payment still allows breathing room, the anxiety alone would not make me walk away. What would your cash buffer be after completion?
 
At ¥192,000,000, the recurring payment and commute should drive the decision more than dated rooms. Cosmetic work and furniture can be spread over time; those two compromises return every month, and an accepted offer does not make them less important.

I would still wait for the inspection rather than decide from anxiety alone. Divide the findings into immediate repairs and work that can wait, then retest the cash left after moving, the first mortgage payment, insurance, any service charges and a realistic excess if something goes wrong. If the budget survives that exercise with breathing room, proceeding may be reasonable. If it depends on postponing every problem, the concern is financial rather than cosmetic.
 
Back
Top