Offering 10% below asking on a coastal Vancouver home — sensible or too aggressive?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I need to decide whether to offer now, and the trade-off is price versus keeping the protections that make the risk acceptable. The Vancouver coastal home is listed at C$607,500, has been on the market for 53 days and needs updating. Nearby asking prices are similar, but I do not yet have enough completed transactions to support a firm valuation.

I’m thinking of C$546,750, or 10% under asking, backed by proof of financing and some flexibility over completion. I would frame it around the work required and limited sales evidence rather than criticising the home. Is there a better way to present that position while also asking about the seller’s motivation? I can walk away over price, but I do not want to expose the deposit by removing either the inspection or financing condition.
 
Ten percent below isn’t automatically unreasonable after 53 days, but keep the explanation factual rather than listing everything wrong with the house. Point to the updating required, the limited completed-sale evidence and the certainty you can offer on financing and timing.

I’d ask why it hasn’t sold and whether there were previous offers or price changes. I wouldn’t waive inspection or financing merely to make a lower price look cleaner.
 
What does “needs updating” cover: finishes and appliances, or roof, drainage, windows and structure? That distinction matters more than the percentage. Also, is it freehold or strata, and has the seller indicated a preferred completion date? Flexibility is only valuable if it solves their actual problem.
 
One other point: proof that financing is lined up is not the same as removing a financing condition. You can demonstrate that you’re organised while still protecting yourself if the property is appraised below the agreed price. Asking-price comparables won’t tell you whether that gap is likely.
 
I’d be a little more cautious about leading at exactly 10% under. With nearby asking prices close to this one and no solid completed comparables, it can look like a percentage chosen first and justified afterwards.

If possible, attach the price to specific updating costs or visible deficiencies. Don’t also demand vague repair credits at the outset; reserve that discussion for anything material uncovered by inspection.
 
Pay close attention to the condition wording, response deadline and deposit exposure. A low appraisal may not be treated exactly as you expect under every financing clause, so have the contract language explained for British Columbia before signing. Know when the deposit becomes at risk and don’t promise to cover an appraisal gap unless you have deliberately budgeted for it.
 
I’d have your representative first ask about seller motivation and preferred timing, then submit C$546,750 with financing evidence, a realistic response deadline and two completion-date options. Keep inspection and financing conditions, and make no automatic appraisal-gap commitment.

That gives the seller concrete reasons to counter rather than take offence. More importantly, decide your maximum now. If the inspection later reveals major work, you can seek a defined credit, renegotiate or walk according to the contract instead of trying to rationalise the extra cost.
 
Back
Top