Offering 11% below asking on a Bangkok townhouse — sensible or too aggressive at THB 44,640,000?

compass.keen

Homeowner
Established
An 11% opening discount would put my offer at THB 39,729,600 on a Bangkok townhouse asking THB 44,640,000. It has been listed for 21 days and requires updating, but similar advertised properties are near the same level and I have very little evidence of actual sale prices.

I can support the offer with financing proof and flexibility over completion, although I do not want those strengths confused with accepting unlimited inspection, appraisal or deposit risk. Is 21 days too early for this approach? I’m considering either pricing the visible work into the offer or asking for repair credits, and would appreciate views on which is easier to justify without turning the explanation into a catalogue of faults.
 
The number itself is not insulting if you present it as a reasoned offer rather than a verdict on the property. Mention the updating required, the limited evidence from completed comparables, proof of financing and your flexible completion date. Then give a clear but reasonable response deadline.

I would keep inspection and financing protections. Also define what happens to the deposit if either condition is not satisfied; that wording matters more than simply calling the financing “clean.”
 
Before choosing 11%, I’d ask what you know about seller motivation. Are they already moving, carrying an empty property, or just testing the market? Twenty-one days is not long enough by itself to imply pressure.

Also, have you estimated the updating costs room by room? A documented repair allowance makes the offer easier to defend and helps you decide whether to seek a lower price or repair credits.
 
The risk of choosing the wrong opening number is that the seller ignores it rather than making a counteroffer. With nearby sellers still around THB 44,640,000 and the property exposed for just 21 days, THB 39,729,600 could appear to be a percentage chosen first and justified afterwards.

If room-by-room repair costs support that figure, submit it with a brief explanation, financing evidence, flexible completion and a sensible response deadline. If they do not, either open closer to asking or request specific credits. In both cases, invite a counter and keep the offer focused on costs you can document.
 
One more issue is the appraisal gap. If your lender values the townhouse below the agreed price, decide now how much extra cash, if any, you would contribute. Avoid promising in advance to cover an unlimited shortfall.

For the inspection, separate major structural or system concerns from cosmetic updating. A seller may resist credits for visible finishes already reflected in negotiations, while a significant undisclosed problem is different. Because deposit treatment and contract conditions depend on the Bangkok transaction and the actual wording, have the terms checked locally before signing.
 
Helpful distinction. I don’t know the seller’s motivation yet, so I’ll ask the agent rather than treating 21 days as evidence of urgency. I’m going to cost the visible updating first and see whether that genuinely supports THB 39,729,600.

If I proceed, the offer will include financing proof, completion flexibility and a defined response deadline, while retaining inspection, financing and appraisal protections. I’ll also make sure the deposit return conditions are explicit rather than assuming “subject to finance” covers everything.
 
Back
Top