Offering 11% below asking on a Barcelona duplex — sensible or too aggressive?

EzraWren

First-time buyer
The practical problem is limited evidence: nearby listings exist, but I have not found enough completed transactions to support a precise value. The property is a Barcelona duplex advertised at €271,400, has been on the market for 120 days, and needs updating.

I am considering starting about 11% below the asking price, supported by financing proof and some flexibility over completion. I could explain the renovation allowance and set a sensible response deadline, but I do not want price negotiations to expose me to a failed inspection, financing refusal, a low appraisal or loss of the deposit. Does the long marketing period justify that opening figure, and which protections would you refuse to trade away?
 
An 11% opening discount is not inherently insulting after 120 days, provided the offer is presented as a reasoned number rather than a verdict on the property. List the updating you expect, note the limited evidence from completed comparables, attach financing proof and give a short but realistic response deadline. I would not waive inspection protection merely to make the price more attractive.
 
Before choosing the number, can the agent explain why it has sat for 120 days and whether there have been rejected offers or price changes? Seller motivation matters more than nearby asking prices. A seller who needs a particular completion date may value your flexibility; one with no urgency may simply wait. Also clarify whether your 11% already accounts for repairs or whether you intend to request further credits later.
 
I’d be cautious about calling the financing “clean” if you still need an appraisal and loan approval. That wording could create expectations you do not mean to meet. Decide in advance what happens if the lender values the duplex below the agreed price: add cash, renegotiate or withdraw if your contract permits. The deposit consequences depend on the contract and local advice, so understand those before signing anything.
 
I slightly disagree with leading heavily on the property’s flaws. Sellers often know what needs updating and may hear that as an attempt to devalue their home. Keep the message simple: offer amount, financing evidence, preferred protections and flexible completion window. Have your own ceiling before negotiations begin. If inspection findings emerge, distinguish genuinely unexpected issues from visible updating already reflected in your opening offer.
 
That helps. I’ll ask about prior offers, price history and the seller’s preferred timing before submitting anything. I’ll frame the roughly €241,500 offer around the uncertainty in completed comparables and the updating budget, without itemising every cosmetic fault. I’ll also avoid describing the financing as unconditional, keep inspection and finance/appraisal protections clear, and have the deposit wording checked locally before I sign.
 
Back
Top