Offering 11% below asking on a detached home in Denver — sensible or too aggressive at $990,000

woodworksAndCairn

Property investor
Part of me wants to open firmly at 11% below asking; the other part thinks that may end the conversation before the terms are considered. The Denver detached home is listed at $990,000, has been available for 43 days and needs updating. Similar nearby listings support the asking level, but the closed-sale evidence I have is too thin to establish value confidently.

My financing would be straightforward, with proof of funds and flexibility on the completion date. I would explain the offer through the home's condition and the limited completed comparables rather than itemising every defect. I still intend to retain inspection and financing protection.

Before submitting, I need a calmer plan for an appraisal shortfall, any repair credit and the amount of deposit at risk. I am also unsure whether a short response window adds useful pressure or merely irritates the seller. What signs of motivation would justify the 11% opening, and how would you balance price against those protections?
 
Back
Top