Offering 11% below asking on an Oslo coastal home after 48 days

SashaPark

Property investor
Eleven per cent below NOK 7,757,000 is a firm opening, even after 48 days on the market. The home needs updating, but nearby advertised prices do not tell me where comparable coastal properties have actually sold.

I could support an offer of roughly NOK 6.9m with proof of finance and a completion date chosen around the seller’s needs. Should the explanation stay limited to market time, scarce completed evidence and the updating budget, or would that still sound arbitrary? I would rather improve the offer conditionally than waive inspection, financing or valuation protection. I also need clarity on the deposit arrangements and any appraisal gap before committing, so finding out the seller’s preferred timing seems like the next step.
 
About NOK 6.9m is aggressive, but 48 days on the market makes it defensible as an opening rather than an insult. Keep the explanation short: limited completed comparables, time listed and the updating required. Don’t present a long repair calculation unless you have evidence for each item.

Give a clear but reasonable response deadline and emphasise the flexible completion date. I would not waive inspection protection merely to make the discount look cleaner.
 
Before choosing the deadline, do you know anything about the seller’s motivation? A seller who needs a particular completion date may value your flexibility; one with no urgency may simply wait.

I’d also separate “needs updating” from actual defects. Cosmetic preferences support your budget, but not necessarily an 11% reduction. If inspection later identifies material work, would you seek repair credits on top of the lower price, or treat your opening figure as already allowing for it?
 
I don’t know the seller’s motivation yet, so that is the missing piece. I’ll ask whether completion timing matters without trying to pry further. The 11% is mainly a negotiating start based on the 48 days and uncertainty around completed comparables, not a claim that cosmetic updates cost that amount.

I would reserve any repair request for significant findings, not use the inspection to renegotiate ordinary updating. I’m also going to ask the lender how a valuation below the agreed price would affect my cash requirement before setting my ceiling.
 
That last point matters more than polishing the rationale. Decide in advance how much appraisal gap, if any, you can cover without compromising the funds needed for updates. Financing proof can strengthen the offer, but it does not remove valuation risk.

Have the offer terms checked for exactly when the deposit becomes exposed and what happens if financing, valuation or inspection is unsatisfactory; the consequences depend on the actual wording and local process. Then submit the NOK 6.9m-ish offer calmly, with one or two reasons and your completion flexibility. If they counter, compare the counter with your ceiling rather than your opening discount.
 
Back
Top