Offering 12% below asking on a country home in Helsinki after 75 days

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’m considering a country home in Helsinki listed at €639,400. It has been available for 75 days, needs updating, and one previous deal has already collapsed, although the seller apparently isn’t desperate.

Nearby asking prices are similar, but I haven’t found enough completed sales to establish the likely clearing price. Would opening 12% below asking be sensible if I provide financing proof and offer a flexible completion date? I’d also appreciate thoughts on how to explain the figure without antagonising the seller, and which inspection, financing or appraisal protections should stay in the offer.
 
Twelve percent is defensible as an opening, but I wouldn’t present the 75 days or failed deal as evidence that the seller must accept less. Attach a short list of the updating you have priced in, mention the limited completed comparables, show financing proof, and give a clear but reasonable response deadline.

Do you know why the first deal collapsed? An inspection problem would make me much firmer about retaining inspection protection; a buyer-financing failure tells you less about the house.
 
I’d be more cautious. Similar asking prices may mean the seller sees 12% below as fishing, especially if you then request repair credits. Decide whether the initial discount already covers visible work; don’t count it twice.

Keep the offer simple but avoid waiving inspection or exposing the deposit if financing or appraisal falls short. The exact wording and deposit consequences depend on the Finnish contract, so have that checked locally. If the seller counters, compare the new price with your renovation budget and any appraisal gap rather than negotiating from €639,400 alone.
 
Back
Top