Offering 12% below asking on a country home in Rome — sensible or too aggressive

ember.keen

Seller
Established
If I pitch this badly, I could either lose the property unnecessarily or agree to a price unsupported by evidence. It is a country home in Rome advertised at €174,800, on the market for 42 days, with visible updating required.

I am considering an opening offer 12% under asking. Financing is straightforward, proof is available, and the completion date can be flexible. Rather than presenting the discount as a verdict on the seller's price, I would tie my figure to specific condition items and any completed comparables I can verify, then give a reasonable response deadline.

The harder issue is how much to include now. My instinct is to reflect obvious cosmetic work in the initial figure but wait for inspection findings before requesting any repair credit. I would retain inspection and financing protection and set a limit on any appraisal shortfall rather than promise to cover an unknown gap.

Before submitting, which facts or documents would you obtain to test the 12% figure? I also need clarity on when the deposit becomes exposed and how the relevant conditions operate in the proposed Italian purchase contract, since the seller's motivation is unknown.
 
Back
Top