Offering 12% below asking on a Lima townhouse after 54 days

RueDrew

First-time buyer
Established
I can either start nearer the list price to encourage a counteroffer or open 12% lower and accept that the seller may refuse. The second approach feels more honest given the condition and the lack of reliable completed comparables.

The Lima townhouse is listed at PEN 5,212,000 and has been available for 54 days. I can provide financing evidence and be adaptable about completion, but days on market and nearby asking figures do not tell me what similar homes actually sold for. Before submitting anything, I plan to confirm prior reductions or failed offers and decide which visible work is included in my price so I am not also seeking credits for it later. What other fact or document would you verify first?
 
A 12% reduction puts the offer at PEN 4,586,560. Present that as a considered price based on the condition and limited completed-sale evidence, not as a criticism of the seller’s valuation. Financing proof and flexibility make the lower number more credible. I would keep inspection and financing protection, and give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline.
 
I wouldn’t read too much into 54 days by itself. Do you know whether the seller needs a quick sale, or whether the property has already had reductions or rejected offers? Motivation matters more than days listed. Also decide now whether visible updating is built into your price or whether you intend to seek repair credits later; trying for both can make the offer look less clean.
 
That distinction helps. I’ll treat PEN 4,586,560 as the price in its current condition rather than submit a low figure and then reopen cosmetic items. I would only seek a credit if inspection finds something materially different from what is visible now. I’ll keep financing and inspection contingencies, include proof of financing, allow flexibility on completion, and avoid an unnecessarily short response deadline.
 
Also make the offer terms address what happens if the appraisal falls below the agreed price. “Clean financing” should not accidentally become a promise to cover an unlimited appraisal gap. The same applies to the deposit: understand when it becomes exposed and what happens if a valid contingency is triggered. Those details depend on the contract and local practice in Peru, so have the wording checked before signing rather than relying on the headline offer price.
 
Back
Top