Offering 12% under asking on a Buenos Aires new-build flat

teaAndPath

Property investor
Established
If I get the terms wrong, I could either overpay or lose a flat that otherwise suits me. The Buenos Aires new-build is listed at ARS 1,294,000,000 and has been marketed for 41 days, with some finishes or outstanding items still needing attention. Similar nearby listings support the general range, but completed-sale evidence is thin.

I am considering an offer 12% below the asking price, supported by financing evidence and a completion date that can suit the seller. Should I give them a firm response deadline, and how would you present the price without making it sound arbitrary? I also want to retain inspection and financing conditions and limit any appraisal shortfall. The agent says another buyer may waive “it” but will not say which protection they mean.
 
Submit the number as a complete package rather than defending it emotionally: price, financing proof, flexible completion, contingencies and a clear response deadline. Twelve per cent below is ARS 1,138,720,000, so the seller can evaluate a concrete offer.

I would keep inspection and financing protection. If an appraisal is involved, address any gap explicitly rather than leaving unlimited exposure.
 
What does “needs updating” mean in a new-build—unfinished items, cosmetic choices or actual defects? That distinction affects whether a lower price or repair credit makes more sense.

Also ask how long the seller has owned it and whether completion timing matters to them. Forty-one days alone does not reveal motivation, especially when you only have asking-price comparables.
 
I think 12% is fairly aggressive given that the nearby asking prices are close and there are too few completed sales supporting the discount. That does not make it offensive, but I would avoid presenting the figure as proven market value.

Describe it as the price that works for you given the unresolved condition and valuation risk. If the seller resists, a smaller reduction plus agreed repair credits may bridge the difference.
 
The deposit worries me more than whether the opening bid irritates anyone. Before signing, make sure the written terms clearly state when the deposit can be retained or returned, particularly if financing, appraisal or inspection fails. The exact effect depends on the local contract and jurisdiction, so have a locally qualified adviser confirm it.

Do not accept a vague promise that an issue will be fixed later; identify the work, responsibility and timing in writing.
 
First make the agent define what another buyer supposedly will waive. Inspection, financing and an appraisal shortfall create very different risks. A competing buyer’s appetite should not determine your deposit exposure.

I’d send the 12%-below offer with financing evidence, flexible completion, essential contingencies and a short but workable expiry. Add a brief explanation based on uncertain completed-sale evidence and required work. If rejected, ask for a counteroffer and the seller’s preferred timing before deciding whether to move on price.
 
Back
Top