Offering 13% below asking on an Abu Dhabi condo — too aggressive?

otis.cedar

Buyer
Established
We have one night to make a decision, which is uncomfortable given how many points remain unverified. The Abu Dhabi condo is listed at AED 1,358,000, has been available for 99 days and needs updating. Similar nearby properties are advertised at comparable levels, but completed-sale evidence is limited.

I’m considering an opening offer 13% below the listing price, with financing evidence and some choice over the completion date. The price can be negotiated again; waiving inspection, financing or appraisal protection could leave us with a much harder problem, including risk to the deposit.

How would you present the offer as a response to condition and limited sales evidence rather than as an arbitrary discount? I also need to confirm who created the deadline and independently verify the school catchment before allowing either point to rush us.
 
A 13% opening is not inherently insulting if you make it about the property rather than the seller. Submit it with financing evidence, your preferred completion range and a short list of the updating costs you considered. Don’t pretend the nearby asking prices prove your figure; say completed evidence is limited. I would keep inspection and financing protection, especially if an appraisal gap could become your problem.
 
Who imposed the one-night deadline—the seller, the agent, or your own schedule? After 99 days, sudden urgency deserves clarification.

Also, what exactly have you confirmed about the school catchment? If that point materially affects whether the condo works for you, settle it independently before negotiating price. A discount will not fix the wrong location.
 
Be careful about treating every contingency as standard wording. The effect of financing, valuation, inspection and deposit clauses depends on the actual Abu Dhabi agreement, including deadlines and what permits withdrawal or renegotiation. Ask for those terms in writing before transferring a deposit.

I’d also ask whether the seller values speed, certainty or a particular completion date. Flexibility is only useful leverage if it solves their problem.
 
I think 13% is aggressive given that the comparable asking prices are close. Ninety-nine days and dated finishes suggest room, but they do not prove the seller will accept that much less. If you genuinely want this particular condo because of the school situation, a very low opener may reduce cooperation. Decide your maximum first, then leave enough room for one or two moves.
 
I would separate visible updating from defects. Price the cosmetic work into your offer now, but keep the inspection clause for issues you cannot assess tonight. If inspection later finds something material, request a repair credit or reconsider within the agreed terms rather than using a vague promise that everything will be fixed.

Before submitting, write down your maximum cash contribution if the appraisal is low. That prevents an emotional decision after acceptance.
 
Joanap’s deadline question is important. Ask whether there is another actual offer or simply a request for a quick answer, without demanding proof the seller cannot provide. Then send a clean, time-limited proposal explaining the 13% through condition, limited completed-sale evidence and financing certainty. Keep it courteous and expect a counter. Most importantly, do not let the offer deadline expire later than your inspection, finance or deposit protections allow.
 
Back
Top